Monday, November 1, 2010

Training Ends and Service Begins!

Training has officially ended!  I am very pleased to announce that I, along with every other Environmental Health Trainee, have successfully completed training and can now officially be referred to as Peace Corps Volunteers!  On the 28th of October, forty-eight Trainees dressed up, jumped on a bus, and went to the U.S. Ambassador's house for our swearing-in ceremony.   We proceeded to take pictures until word came that the President of Panama, Ricardo Martinelli, was arriving.  The trainees, photographers, and everyone involved with our training, promptly seated themselves.  Immediately afterwards, Mr. Martinelli walked through the front door and seated himself in front of the restless group.  With the ambassador on his right and the Peace Corps/Panama Country Director on his left, the ceremony was underway.  

The president spoke about the importance of our work and said we could email him if we need to.  Yeah right.  Later, each volunteer quickly said where they are from (Martinelli gave me a thumbs-up when I said "Alaska"), what site they are going to, and what sector they are from.  After a few more speeches the Ambassador got up and swore us all in.  Then we ate some delicious snacks, met the president, then left.  Quick and easy, just like that.  

That night we went out to eat at a Lebanese restaurant then danced the night away.  The next morning we went to a beach and played frisbee, celebrated halloween, played late-night chicken in the pool, and connected to our training friends one final time.  Today we said our heartfelt goodbyes and went our separate ways.  I hopped on a bus to David, from where I will travel to my site tomorrow.  If I am lucky it will take me five hours to get there.   

We are expected to stay in site for the next three months but our Country Director has graciously granted us permission to attend Thanksgiving ceremonies at the end of November.  Other than phone calls, I wont be able to contact anyone until then.  I hope everyone is well.  Wish me luck. I miss you

   

2 comments:

Swirly Girl said...

Scottie----Cheers to you for your recent official triumphant induction into the PC. I hope you got your package by now. The books are on there way - sent Oct. 23. I will look forward to your phone calls when you get the opportunity. I wait eagerly to hear about your village and the people there. You continue to amaze me with your grace and gratitude. Love you!

fastawake said...

What an awesome adventure. I hope mother Susie keeps me posted.

Post a Comment